There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Blog Post #5



If I Built a School

Krissy Venosdale is an avid blogger and a truly inspiring person. Her blog Venspired was created to reflect on her teaching. Her definition of venspired is: inspired by our students, powered through tools of technology, always motivated by creativity. Continually fueled by collaboration and constantly dreaming of better learning for us all, every single day.
Krissy Venosdale wrote a very interesting blog post called “If I Built a School”. She wrote about her dream school; a school created from her imagination with all sorts of amenities. I really liked her idea about having labs stocked with tools necessary for students to experiment all school year instead of once a year due to lack of money in the budget for the laboratory. If I were to build my own school I too would include a fully stocked lab along with a completely stocked art/music room. I believe hands on activities help provide a creative and open atmosphere
I would also make sure that the cafeteria is properly stocked with good wholesome food for the children. I have done a little research about diets having effect on our ability to learn, in fact I began my research because I was given an example today of a student that was having trouble in the classroom. His mother changed up his diet and now his teacher says “you would think he was a different child.” Getting the right amount of nutrients and protein during the school day really makes a difference so I would make sure, in my dream school, the cafeteria has nothing but natural, healthy food.


Eric Whitacre’s Virtual Choir – ‘Lux Aurumque’

After learning that this performance (“Lux Aurumque”) was orchestrated through nothing but the internet I think it’s safe to say the internet is a very powerful tool. I already knew that the internet was a useful thing, but every day I learn that it is even more useful than I thought. You can virtually do anything with the internet, such as: collaborate with teachers around the world via blogging, do comparative searches along with any other search using Bing and Google (plus many other search engines). The internet is also a great tool for homework, as far as turning it in, doing it, and assigning it. If it is posted online there is no excuse to not know about it or not be able to physically turn it in. The internet is available most everywhere, so it can be used at all times; it is a very reliable resource for us.
Technology


Teaching in the 21st Century

I think that in the video Teaching 21st Century Students Roberts is trying to teach us that as educators we must provide our students with more than facts, dates, formulas, theories, stories and information. Students today have access to all of that in any place at anytime with the internet, blogs, Facebook, Twitter, etc. We must teach them the skill of how to use the information they receive from all of the resources outside of the classroom. I feel like the technological changes are good for our classrooms, and in order to be successful with the generations ahead we must accept this. There are so many different ways to approach the use of technology in the classroom and I think that the trial and error phase of perfecting my own strategies will definitely affect me as an educator, but only in the best way possible :)


Flipping the Classroom

Oh goodness YES I would totally consider flipping my classroom. It seems to be a very efficient way to help students move at their own pace. Lecturing is not engaging for the students, and many of them are on different learning levels so when they leave the classroom to apply their learning some may have more difficulties than others. I definitely would use this technique in my classroom because it has been shown to be highly effective in the videos listed below.

a. Katie Gimbar - Why I Flipped My Classroom
b. Dr. Lodge McCammon's - FIZZ
c. Ms. Munafo - Flipping the Classroom

2 comments:

  1. What about no grade levels and advancement based on readiness and abilities? What about the emphasis on creativity and critical thinking? What about the massive use of technologies including computers, iPads, SMARTboards, video equipment for learning, not entertainment?

    A flipper! Sounds good to me.

    Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Abigail,
    I have never thought about how the diet of our kids can affect their learning! I am definitely going to further research this topic. Do you know of any websites or other resources I could use to further read about this topic?
    I am also a fan of hands-on activities. Even though I will be teaching math, I plan on incorporating activities into my daily exercises and explanations. This, along with "flipping the classroom", will create an engaging atmosphere for my students.
    Sincerely,
    Kameron

    ReplyDelete