There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Blog Post #3

Peer Review

take a lookThe first video I watched was about peer editing. Prior to watching this video there were many things I realized I was not paying attention to throughout all of my years of peer editing, such as not paying attention to the details, word choice and organization. Also in both the video and slide show provided I learned that there are 3 very important steps to peer editing: compliments, suggestions, and corrections. Obviously, no one should approach peer editing with a rude attitude, but giving compliments is positive reinforcement that encourages the author rather than putting them down about the mistakes they made.
After going through all of the links given to us, I felt I was able to critique my fellow classmate’s blog post in a more sufficient way. I paid close attention to the organization and punctuation of her post; along with the grammar. Usually when I write reviews for my peers I get nervous because I feel like I may not be critiquing the right things, but this time I felt confident in my editing. I really enjoyed this “humorous” video Dr. Strange suggested :) - Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes


Assistive Technologies

Wow! Before now, I have not given any thought as to how I would accommodate one of my students if they had a disability such as being blind or deaf. I felt like the students with disabilities like this would need someone who is qualified to teach them, but I now I feel like we as educators should be trained to be qualified to work with ALL students. The use of technology has been proven to be effective when it comes to helping students with disabilities.
I plan on having every resource possible available to my students. I understand that we are not given a big amount of money to dedicate to such resources, but I am a very passionate person when it comes to helping kids; if there’s a will, there’s a way! Braille is the only area that may challenge us but we all love a good challenge, don’t we future teachers? The answer is: yes we do!


Vicki Davis

One statement Vicki Davis made in the beginning of her video Harness Your Students’ Digital Smarts was that students have trouble when there is only a pen and piece of paper. This statement stuck to me because I know we can all remember a time when we were faced with a blank piece of paper and a pen for an assignment, it can be intimidating! In Ms. Davis’ classroom the students all use computers and they all take turns teaching the class. She mentioned that she is teaching her students’ new software, learning how to learn, collaborating and blogging effectively and pretty much teaching them how to be comfortable using a new technology.
I also fully agreed with the point she made about students looking things up, we don’t have to define everything and we shouldn’t. Students have the ability to look up answers for themselves, let them! Her students that were in the video were noticeably confident about working with technology which was incredible to see.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Abigail,
    I agree with your statement, “I felt like the students with disabilities like this would need someone who is qualified to teach them, but I now I feel like we as educators should be trained to be qualified to work with ALL students.” I loved your approach towards assistive technologies and accommodation of ALL students. I also did not think about how I would accommodate all students until I watched these videos. For the sake of the students, we need to take all necessary actions to provide every student with a good education. That will definitely take determination and the willingness to never settle. Your reactions, solutions, and determination in this post make me think of the comment “sharks are born swimming”. You are going to be teacher who is passionate and willing to do anything from the very beginning for your students! I enjoyed reading your blog because you added honest, personal reactions to each section of your post, not just “ I agree with…because…”. Also, you have great grammar and proofreading skills.
    Sincerely,
    Kameron Strickland

    ReplyDelete