There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Blog Post #7

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Last Lecture by Randy Pasch; my absolute favorite aspect about it was Randy Pasch’s enthusiasm for life. You could tell throughout the whole thing that he had a genuine love for living life and pursuing dreams. After all, he did accomplish most all of his childhood dreams if I heard correctly. What I took from the video was that we should all pursue the goals we make for ourselves. Achieve the goals you make for yourself at any cost; unless it compromises your morals of course, that would just be absurd.

enduring goalsThere were a few things that stood out to me from Randy Pasch’s discussions in which I believe will be very valuable in my future classroom. The majority of Mr. Pasch’s last lecture was about him achieving his childhood goals, and one of his goals was to become an imaginer for Disney. He ran into many brick walls along the way to achieving this goal; one bump in the road was that he had to get the permission for the project. He went into a meeting with the dean and was immediately welcomed with negative energy about the project; the dean demanded a change in the contract before he gave his permission. It turned out the permission was not the dean’s place to grant, as it was actually the place of the dean of research. When Randy went to propose his idea to this dean he was greeted with a positive open mind which brought success for Randy’s project.

This stood out to me because I don’t know how many times I have witnessed great things come to an end due to a closed mind and negative energy. When I have my own classroom I plan on being open to all of the thoughts and ideas that my students and their parents have. I know I will not be able to pursue all the requests I’m bound to receive throughout the years, but it will be my job as an educator to be there to make my students goals possible for them.

Another aspect of this video that particularly stood out to me was that all of Randy’s goals were achieved by many connections he carried with him, connections that he might have called his very own PLN. We have been learning a lot about personal learning networks in the past few weeks, and with each assignment it is becoming more and more evident that the personal learning networks we build will be extremely useful throughout life. Mr. Pasch also discussed a time in his life in which he created his own course “Building Virtual Worlds”. After he assigned his first project he was blown away by the effort and success of his students. He then called up his mentor for advice as to what to do next? He already set the bar and they flew beyond it, and that is where his mentor told him he went wrong. When you set the bar for your students you are not doing them any good. As future educators we have to remember this, in order to progress we have to be willing to aim beyond the visual limits because what we see as limits others see as opportunities.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Abigail!

    You're right, Randy Pausch's love for life was very evident, and I think that, at least in part, that was the reason that he was so successful in everything that he pursued. We have to have that same enthusiasm for learning, and for sharing that knowledge with our future students.

    Something you mentioned which I didn't consider was Dr. Pausch's PLN. When I think of a PLN for myself, I think of online resources and people to give me better ideas for teaching. However, PLN's do also give us real life connections that can help us to achieve personal goals as well.

    You had some great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...becoming more and more evident that the personal learning networks we build will be extremely useful throughout life. " Yes, your PLN can be extremely valuable!

    The reason we include this video is to inspire you to bust through those brick walls, to raise the bars, to execute effective head fakes and much more. I hope you will do these things when you are a teacher.

    Keep on learning!

    ReplyDelete