There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Blog Post #8

imaginative learning
Richard Miller
Children are so much more technologically savvy these days therefore I believe that my students will be prepared to work with multimedia whether I want them to or not. I think that this is a great thing because I am a believer in moving forward and progressing with technology. Like Mr. Miller said "I believe we are living at the moment of the greatest change in human communication in human history." Not only can we search through the information on our computers, but we can search the riches of the world as they are stored on the web. All of the information we could possibly need is virtually available at our fingertips thanks to the inter-web.
Mr. Miller commented in his videos (This is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2) on a project that he worked on; stating that he was able to do the entire presentation without stepping foot in a library. Of course he would come across knowledge and information he did not yet know about, but he was able to pull up information on the subject using the web. All of the information we search for online lives on for good as web based documents and exist exclusively as text. The documents are freely available and when you take them out they are still there for others to look up; unlike the library where someone checks out a book and you have to wait for it.

EDM310 is Different
The first video I watched was called The Chipper Series. This is a video of a student, "Chipper", and Dr. Strange discussing the topic of turning in assignments. Chipper claims that she can foretell the future and see that she has done her work. Dr. Strange then made a proposal to drop all the education talk and spoke about the lottery since Chipper can tell the future. This was an entertaining video but I found the video EDM for Dummies to be even more entertaining! This video began with 2 EDM students complaining about their EDM class and talking about how difficult it was. As the video went on they showed their version of "---- for dummies". The cover of the book looked just like any other "---- for dummies" books which added to the uniqueness of the video. The students told about blogger, twitter, and other resources their "EDM for dummies" book had. I really enjoyed it and made sure to let Jamie Lynn Miller know via Twitter.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn
The video Learn to Change, Change to Learn pressed some pretty strong arguments when it comes to learning. Children are having a much more stimulating and rich environment outside of school. They are very rich content developers through their social websites, portable computers, and cell phones yet all of these are banned in school. "Every turned off device is potentially a turned off child." Technology needs to be accepted in the classroom; it is not there to provide information on traditional subjects. It has emerged a completely new environment. Children are living in a new generation that includes texting, twitter, email etc. The student is at the center and school is only one of their outlets for learning. They also learn in the community, home, museums, libraries, and online. We have a classroom system when we could have a community system. This video is powerful, motivational, and ambitious. I feel like everything said in this video should be considered by educators everywhere. This is the 21st century, it's time we push forward with the resources available to our classrooms!

Scavenger Hunt 2.0
1.) Locate a tool that is similar to Twitter/Facebook and provides a social platform for teachers, parents, and students. Create an account as a Teacher and write a paragraph or two about how you could use this site in your classroom.
-In one of my previous blog posts about personal learning networks I mentioned Edmodo as a useful tool for the classroom. This is almost just like Facebook, but it is for students, teachers and parents. You can make posts about quizzes, alerts, notes, polls and assignments. There is also a place to make groups so that sending out information is easier. The homepage is connected to other teachers that post resources, comments, and suggestions. It is a really neat tool that I look forward to using in the future!

2.) Find a tool to make-your-own comic strip. Create a comic. Post a picture of it in your blog.
-I found one of the best tools to use when creating your own comic strip; it is called WriteComics.com. It is a rather easy website to navigate and it provides you with a link to your comic when you are finished making your comic. Mine can be found here!

3.) Find a tool to create a poll anywhere and at anytime. Create your first poll and post it here.
-For the final stop on my scavenger hunt I found a reliable resource for creating polls. It is called Learn Myself

Do you enjoy blogging?
Yes
No
Create your own poll

6 comments:

  1. Abigail,
    I am so glad you used this quote.This is quote is the most mind blowing part of this video.
    "Children are having a much more stimulating and rich environment outside of school. They are very rich content developers through their social websites, portable computers, and cell phones yet all of these are banned in school. 'Every turned off device is potentially a turned off child.' Technology needs to be accepted in the classroom; it is not there to provide information on traditional subjects."
    I think this tells us, as teachers, we have to do everything possible to grab the attention of our students. What we are doing now is obviously not working so something has to change. Also, I loved your little comic! It was very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abigail,
    I absolutely love your comic! I showed it to several of my sisters and we all laughed!
    Also, being a believer in moving forward is a great midset to have! You are right, students will have an extensive knowledge of multimedia before they come to the classroom.
    I liked your blog. It was fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! This was a great blog post. I didn't see any grammatical mistakes, and you use links and pictures. I liked your comic strip you created! I liked that you use the quote,"I believe we are living at the moment of the greatest change in human communication in human history." I also used this quote in my blog because it shows how important it is for teachers to incorporate technology in the classrooms because if we do not, the school system will get left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!!! This kinda makes me sound dumb but it never actually crossed my mind that my kids with have a grasp of technology when they arrive at my class. I have been looking at some of the assignments as if I will be starting from scratch. I guess we all learn something new everyday.? Great point. Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Abigail! I am in love with your comic strip! I think it is so cute and hilarious! I too discovered Edmodo on the scavenger hunt and think it is a wonderful tool. Also, I noticed you put a Magic School Bus picture at the top of the post. I always thought that show was super entertaining as well as educational. Overall great post! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete