There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Blog Post #11


children holding hands
I believe Ms. Kathy Cassidy's clips are all "must see" videos; especially for anyone with doubts, questions, or concerns about technology in the classroom. If Ms. Cassidy is able to explore the use of technology with her first graders then I believe educators everywhere should give the idea of technology in the classroom some serious thought. After reading the description of the video and realizing she was using Nintindo DS in the classroom I was hesitant, but I didn't have a choice-I had to watch her clip and I am so happy I did. I will admit I am guilty of judging books by their cover, but most of the time that only leads me to putting my foot in my mouth. Seeing Ms. Cassidy's students and listening to them talk about blogging, skyping, and collaborating I was absolutely blown away. When I think of children and technology I, like many others, fear that it is disabling certain people skills young children need, but Kathy Cassidy's video "Little Kids..Big Potential" really opened my mind to the use of technology in the classroom. Yes, the students were playing their Nintendo DS games and they were on computers when they visit centers BUT they make great use of their time. Children learn how to problem solve and they learn sharing skills while using their Nintendo DS in Ms. Cassidy's classroom, and when they go to the computers for center time they can choose from a wide range of learning activities online. Though we may be opposed to having so much technology present in the daily lives of our children; we have to remember it is not easy to convince children that learning is good AND fun. If technology can provide children with effective and fun learning then I say we need to be more open about it! Ms. Cassidy did not plan her big step into the world of technology in the classroom; she was just lucky enough to be given 5 computers for her class. Determined to make good use of them she began to learn about blogging in the classroom and now, 10 years later, she couldn't be happier with the outcome of her journey. I would love to use some of her techniques in the classroom, especially blogging and skyping because those were the two that the children seemed to enjoy the most. The best part about blogging is that children love it and it helps them develop better writing skills.

2 comments:

  1. "If Ms. Cassidy is able to explore the use of technology with her first graders then I believe educators everywhere should give the idea of technology in the classroom some serious thought. " Not just thought. They should use it!

    So you are learning. Learning never ends. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job of describing how you feel about the video. I ws also sceptable about the use of technology with younger children until I watched this video.

    ReplyDelete