There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Blog Post #12

distraction in the classroom
My Blog Post Assignment Idea
For my blog post idea I would give my students this as an assignment: "One of the main goals in the classroom is to promote learning for students. Research the factors that affect learning abilities. There are many studies out about diets, environmental factors, teaching methods, and physichological factors that contribute to learning. What are your thoughts/findings about factors that influence learning in the classroom? Provide sources to back up your statements : )"

My Blog Post
gluten freeFor this assignment I did further research about diets and their affect on learning. Of course children will have trouble learning on an empty stomach but that is not the main focus. Nancy Guberti wrote an article called "The Sugar Connection to Learning" that discusses the fact that learning requires optimal health and brain function. One alarming statement she made is that "sugar has the potential to be a destroyer of general health and immunity as it robs the body of important vitamins and minerals. Besides, sugar can cause addiction as severe as other drug addictions" we have all been taught that sugar isn't exactly good for us but I know I wasn't notified about how harmful it can be if sugar intake isn't properly regulated. Kids snacks and "fruit" juices are anything but good for our children and we need to come to terms with it. Yes, our children may gripe and beg for their sugary snacks but if you attempt to cut back on the consumption of products high in sugar you should see an impact on their learning and behavior in the classroom.
Nutrition difficientcies also contribute to many behavioral issues. I highly recommend parents to look into healthy eating habits for children with learning disabilities. I read many forums run by moms that shared their experience with gluten free diets for their children. One mom shares her story: "Starting Gluten Free and My Son's ADHD Story" about how her son has ADHD (attention deficity hyperactivity disorder) and that his medicine makes him glittery and always has him on edge; one of her husbands friends had the same problem with his child. He visited a nutritionist and found out the child was in need of a gluten free diet, and after four days he was much calmer with little to no problems with his anger issues. This is just one of the many success stories I found about healthy diets impacting children in positive ways. I believe more parents should be concerned about their kids diets not only because it can help in the classroom but because eating right makes the body feel so much better. It's all about what is best for the kids!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Abigail!
    I am also in Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class! This is a great post! I was actually debating doing a diet/ food blog. I think you did a great job with your instructions and explanations. Keep up the good work and good luck!

    Shelby Day

    ReplyDelete