There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, April 7, 2013

C4T #3

Week 1
My C4T assignment this time around was to visit The Principal's Principles, a blog written by a middle school principal names Mr. Bernia. The first week I visited his post titled: The Era of One has Begun. This post is lengthy and full of detail, I suggest you read it for yourself. It was mainly Mr. Bernia reflecting about a book called Linchpin by Seth Godin, a text I am currently waiting to receive in the mail :) He brought up an issue I feel strongly about and this was my response to him: "Hello Mr. Bernia, I am a student at the University of South Alabama and I am currently studying elementary education. This post presents an issue that has become more alarming to me during the past few months. Educators seem to be more concerned with high test scores and the “correct” answer than the problem itself. Is this helping to better prepare the future of our students? I do not believe that it is helping one bit. As you said; “by emphasizing factual information through questions that can be answered using a simple Google search, students do not get the opportunity to think about or try to solve a complex problem or challenge.” We are inhibiting our students from their natural desire to stimulate their brains. Instead of challenging them we are training them to memorize information which does them no good in the long run. Do you have any suggestions as to how future educators can avoid doing this and still be excellent teachers? I plan on purchasing Seth Godin’s Linchpin first thing next week, it sounds like a great book from the reviews I have read."

Week 2
Mr. BerniaThis week I was unable to find a new post by Mr. Bernia so I chose to comment on one of his past posts; I chose a post titled Whatever it Takes. This post was a personal story by Mr. Bernia about one fateful school day that left him and a student digging through the school's trash. One day at lunch a student misplaced her cellphone; it was the day before her class trip to Washington D.C. and her parents were out of town. It's safe to say this was an awful time to lose her cellphone, but instead of walking away from the situation Mr. Bernia helped the student retrace her steps. She came to the disgusting realization that she may have thrown it away, but that did not make Mr. Bernia cringe and recoil his offer to help. He and the student put on some rubber gloves and hit the dumpster! After rummaging through three or four bags Mr. Bernia came across a pink phone case and for a few split seconds he was no longer a principal, he was that young lady's hero. Maybe I am just sensitive but this post really spoke to me. I think that Mr. Bernia's dedication is the type of dedication it takes to make a difference in the world. It is the type of dedication every educator needs to have because after all, we are working for our students.

No comments:

Post a Comment